2012年2月26日星期日

Full Model Recovery (Backup)

I run a FULL backup each morning at 12:00am, Steps are, check db, backup, zip backup and remove, shrink log file.
Along with the FULL backup I run Transaction log backups from 7:00am to 11:59pm
once an hour. Append the file. The file has grown to over 33gigs by 11:59pm. At 12:30am I zip the file and remove. This zipped file goes with the previous days Full backup.
My question is, how can I keep the transaction log trimmed? I have it set to remove inactive entries at each hour backup. Can I shrink the file after each hour backup with out damaging the previous backup?Hi,
It seems you have got huge volume of transaction each hour, so rather than
doing the transaction log backup every 1 hour make it every 20 minutes or
so. Inthis case transaction log file will be cleared after each log backup.
This controls the growth of transaction log file(LDF). Probably as you do by
end of day after the full database backup you can shrink the file. The
shrink may not be required if you increase the transaction log backup
frequency.
Note:
I recommend you not to shrink the transaction log file each hour.
Thanks
Hari
MCDBA
"Robert_at_CBB" <Robert_at_CBB@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:2C16CE96-BF23-499B-A175-7F0552D66D08@.microsoft.com...
> I run a FULL backup each morning at 12:00am, Steps are, check db, backup,
zip backup and remove, shrink log file.
> Along with the FULL backup I run Transaction log backups from 7:00am to
11:59pm
> once an hour. Append the file. The file has grown to over 33gigs by
11:59pm. At 12:30am I zip the file and remove. This zipped file goes with
the previous days Full backup.
> My question is, how can I keep the transaction log trimmed? I have it set
to remove inactive entries at each hour backup. Can I shrink the file after
each hour backup with out damaging the previous backup?|||Thanks, I guess the problem is the actual backup file growth, by the end of the night it is ove 50gigs. Would a simple model work with a differential with init option work better?
After each differential I would zip and remove the the backup to another drive.
In the event of a disaster I would restore from the Full I did at 12:00am and use the last differential made in the current day.
"Hari Prasad" wrote:
> Hi,
> It seems you have got huge volume of transaction each hour, so rather than
> doing the transaction log backup every 1 hour make it every 20 minutes or
> so. Inthis case transaction log file will be cleared after each log backup.
> This controls the growth of transaction log file(LDF). Probably as you do by
> end of day after the full database backup you can shrink the file. The
> shrink may not be required if you increase the transaction log backup
> frequency.
> Note:
> I recommend you not to shrink the transaction log file each hour.
> Thanks
> Hari
> MCDBA
>
> "Robert_at_CBB" <Robert_at_CBB@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:2C16CE96-BF23-499B-A175-7F0552D66D08@.microsoft.com...
> > I run a FULL backup each morning at 12:00am, Steps are, check db, backup,
> zip backup and remove, shrink log file.
> >
> > Along with the FULL backup I run Transaction log backups from 7:00am to
> 11:59pm
> > once an hour. Append the file. The file has grown to over 33gigs by
> 11:59pm. At 12:30am I zip the file and remove. This zipped file goes with
> the previous days Full backup.
> >
> > My question is, how can I keep the transaction log trimmed? I have it set
> to remove inactive entries at each hour backup. Can I shrink the file after
> each hour backup with out damaging the previous backup?
>
>

没有评论:

发表评论