2012年2月26日星期日

Full Log Setting

I've confused myself. If you're doing log backups and you
have of course the database option set to FULL, then how
can your logs ever shrink? I understand that after the
log backup happens technically the logs can shrink w/o
risk of losing data in the logs. But what actually
shrinks these logs? Autoshrink won't do it, will it? Do
you have run something manuall?Please refer to Tibor's link
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/info_dont_shrink.asp
Jeff Duncan
MCDBA, MCSE+I
"bzkdfl" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8ed101c432de$bb0a7610$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> I've confused myself. If you're doing log backups and you
> have of course the database option set to FULL, then how
> can your logs ever shrink? I understand that after the
> log backup happens technically the logs can shrink w/o
> risk of losing data in the logs. But what actually
> shrinks these logs? Autoshrink won't do it, will it? Do
> you have run something manuall?
>|||Thx for the link, but I'm getting more confused (which is
probably a good sign):
If I'm doing log backups and have FULL on, can I ever get
these logs shrunk w/o using Tibor's specialized shrink
code?

>--Original Message--
>Please refer to Tibor's link
>http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/info_dont_shrink.asp
>
>--
>Jeff Duncan
>MCDBA, MCSE+I
>"bzkdfl" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:8ed101c432de$bb0a7610$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
you[vbcol=seagreen]
Do[vbcol=seagreen]
>
>.
>|||There's no shrink code on that page. The code is only there to prove that wh
en you shrink a data file, the
same amount of data is logged to the tlog.
If you do both full and log backup, then the log backups will empty the file
s. To shrink the files, you need
to either have autoshrink, or execute DBCC SHRINKFILE or DBCC SHRINKDB. But
please read the section about
virtual log files and the log file has to be empty at the end.
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
<anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:905a01c432ed$d176ac70$a301280a@.p
hx.gbl...[vbcol=seagreen]
> Thx for the link, but I'm getting more confused (which is
> probably a good sign):
> If I'm doing log backups and have FULL on, can I ever get
> these logs shrunk w/o using Tibor's specialized shrink
> code?
>
> message
> you
> Do

没有评论:

发表评论